Thursday, October 7, 2021

BPP 2021: And away we go

 And we're off! ...Almost. The ALDSes start in under an hour, but picks are locked and I'm updating the spreadsheet as we speak. 

31 slates in play means the winner takes home $217, 2nd place $62, and 3rd $31...unless it's a tie, which could happen, as we have one slate (Arozarena/Franco/Lowe) that got triple-dipped. But that's the only dupe that I can see.

Other trends: 

  • people aren't sleeping on "Rozie" like they did last year; heavy action on Arozarena
  • Seager, a popular and productive pick last year, has a few adherents, but his and Betts's pick numbers are way down; both Turners remain popular, but Belli and Yeli were chosen only once each
  • the pool isn't giving the Chisox much of a shot, it seems, and compared with 2020, Atlanta picking is...subdued
  • y'all are keeping it fun with some avant-garde choices this year -- like, "I had to Google a couple of these dudes to make sure they hadn't retired" avant-garde. Love it.
A snapshot of the picks sheet, after the jump, plus my side bet for this year's winner of the Victorino Award...
I feel like Jorge Soler is fixing to light us all up with a .750 average for the next few weeks. We'll see if I'm right, but if I were that confident, I would have picked him.

And I'm not confident I didn't make any mistakes with the pick data entry, so if you see anything weird or my math seems off, today or at any point, step into the comments or email me (bunting at tomatonation dot com).

...Okay! In about 20 minutes, it's Lance v. Lance, 'Stros v. Hose, as the first ALDS gets underway, and so does BPP 2021. See you in a few hours for the first update, and good luck!

2 comments:

Maria said...

I had Soler and several ChiSox on my long list. After today’s opener in Houston, I think I might have chosen correctly.

LeighBee said...

Seems like stealing home should unlock some sort of hidden bonus 😀