Sunday, October 16, 2022

SD 5, LAD 3; Padres move on

Oooooo-fah what a day at the ballparks! San Diego is going to the LCS; another seemingly invincible Dodger team is going to the pro shop. 

What does this say about the new postseason structure? Lot of postmortems already being written about it; I'll save mine until we have a Yankees/Guardians outcome, because BOY do I have a bunch of housekeeping to do as it is.

Let's start with the points. Italics, well, sadly you know the drill...

Betts 0
Freeman 5
Smith 0
Turner J 1
Turner T 3

Cronenworth 2
Machado 2

Manny is easily the series MVP for us; the Ginger Elf and Mookie didn't look great, but honestly, nobody really did for the Dodgers except The Other Turner. Grisham continuing to compile stats for his Shane Victorino case is maddening, but at least he did it to someone besides the Mets also? And "great," it's a Nola v. Nola storyline in the LCS, I guess.

And that brings us to the money, which has both a new look, and a bunch of slates lurching around with their extremities falling off. Full standings after the jump, and again, if you're in italics, you won't appear in future updates, I'm sorry to say.

39 Yuhan 1
37 Crase
33 Reid 2 and The Chavez Ravine 3 (MArbour 1, Shotwell 1, and Winklepleck 2)

31 O'Reilly


29 Rogge, Drake, and Fell 2
27 Brady

25 Sung and Cayenne 2
22 Cameron 1
21 Cameron 2, Reid 1, and Bauer Shock
20 JArbour and SDB 2

19 Cayenne 1, DGB, Bingham 1, and Tormey
18 Yuhan 2 and Bingham 2

14 Quinn
13 Dunn
12 Fell 1 and Stempel
10 SDB 1

8 Shotwell 2

The zombification is not quite as bad as you might have feared -- but we've got a bunch of slates with only Judge left, and a bunch of others with some Altuve permutation who probably can't catch the leaders. Some variation on this often happens in the pool but IIRC it's been quite a few years since it's been this pronounced this early. I never like this many people to find themselves functionally out before the Classic, but that's why they play the etc. etc.

The Bombers try to fend off a Spider attack at 7:07 PM ET on TBS. God bless my birthday-mate but I'm just not sure how much of Costas's "just familiarized himself with the season last weekend" commentary I can take (when Sterling/Waldman is preferable, there's a problem...not least that I suspect Ron Darling would do the same if he hadn't already cashed the check, but anyway). I'll be following it in some fashion, though, and we'll see where we are tonight.

Accept my condolences, check my math, and I'll be back in 12 hours!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cayenne

Anonymous said...

Ok, not the best way to find out the comment feature hates my phone. Oh well. cayenne here.

Anyhoo, I still can't believe that the most mundane thing that happened yesterday was the Yankees getting walked off. Totally batshit day... thank you, baseball.

Paul Bauer said...

Misery loves company, so I’d like to welcome all Dodgers and Braves fans, and hopefully, Yankees fans shortly as well. I will cherish my lead after the wild card round for years to come…