Friday, October 7, 2022

BPP 2022: It's on

Welcome (back) to Bunting's Postseason Pool for year...16?! Amazing. We've got a couple new faces in the crowd, a couple of past masters returning, and a LOT of slates this year: 35 total. That's a $350 pot on deck; the 70/20/10 split gives $245 to this year's winner, $70 and $35 to the 2nd- and 3rd-place slates.

And that's as good a segue as any into my constant BPP refrain: if you see mistakes/think I bonked the inputting, let me know. It's happened before, it will happen again, I'm just a poetry major standing in front of a legacy Excel spreadsheet asking it not to hate her, etc. etc. If you suddenly have -17 points, let me hear from you.

Let's have a look at that spreadsheet, shall we?



I was interested prior to input to see how the extra pick would affect the breadth of picks; it seems roughly proportional to previous years. Heaviest action this year, unsurprisingly, is on your new AL home-run record-holder, Aaron Judge, with LAD's Betts and Freeman not far behind, and plenty of interest in NYM's Alonso/Lindor/McNeil, Houston's Altuve and Álvarez, Dodger Trea Turner, and Barve Dansby Swanson.

There's one triple-dupe slate of all Dodgers; there's also a pleasant seasoning of "what do they know that I don't" singles to keep things interesting.

More after the jump...


Mariner loyalists gave SEA the largest number of picks on the board (8); ATL, LAD, and NYM also have broad support. A Shane Victorino winner from a couple years back, Randy Arozarena, is the lone Rays rep. No Phillie picks.

I've gotten a couple queries as to what happens if rosters screw over a slate or someone on a bye team punches a fan over the weekend; I don't really have an answer beyond "let's hope that doesn't happen," tbh, but if Freddie Freeman fights a grizzly or everyone's out by the LCSes, we'll figure it out. Tweaks I make to BPP in response to MLB's postseason changes have to be QCed "at speed," so we'll...see? Let's try to get to Monday in one piece and see where we are...

...because today, it's on. I use MLB.com schedules and box scores for my updates; you can find those here. Said updates come at least once a day in the early going; today, you'll probably see me around cocktail hour with the first bulletin. (All games in this round can be found in the ABC/ESPNiverse. I'm probably rocking local radio via the app.)

Relevant play starts at 12:07 ET, Rays at Guardians on ESPN; then it's Phils at Cards at 2ish, Mariners at Jays at 4ish, and Padres/Mets are the primetime game at 8ish. 

Good luck!

14 comments:

MichaelDunn said...

I have this feeling that I'll be holding onto the Gol-dunn Sombrero for quite some time. Can't see the feat being duplicated.

Sarah D Bunting said...

You know, Brady and I were discussing that last week -- should it live with the lowest-points finisher? Or must it by definition go only to a slate that defies the odds and does not score at all?

MichaelDunn said...

I'm fine with that, but there should be a special designation for finishing with zero points. I have no issue with making this like "Community" where instead of "pulling a Brita," we say "You Dunn'd it."

LeighBee said...

Three shared slates! Has that happened before? Also...I never considered building a slate like that before :thinkingface:

Sarah D Bunting said...

@Mike, agree. "Welp, I'm Dunned."

@Leigh, I *think* we had one like that a few years back? And it got zombied pretty quickly IIRC but I'll go back and look.

Stacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacey said...


Wow, I'm one of the dupes! I think it's the first time I confined all my picks to one team too. Let's go Dodger Thruple!
But really, just pulling for my beloved Mariners to defy the odds/538 predictions.

Love when I make a typo.

Lauren said...

Dodger thruple for the win!! I was certain when I created that slate I'd be the only one so optimistic/crazy as to go single team. But if that helps the boys in blue, I'll TAKE IT!

LeighBee said...

ngl, when I saw it I wished I had thought of it at least. Too painful as a Rockies fan to actually pull that trigger, though.

Paul Bauer said...

I am here to publicly call out Sarah for not putting her Mets support front and center with at least one of her slates. Choosing capitalism over heart. For shame!

Sarah D Bunting said...

More like sense over sentiment ;) but I also picked Pujols for old times' sake, so...

cayenne said...

I'd like to know what happened to the Arozarena of yore. Did his mojo get hijacked by Brandon Lowe? Cos that would explain a lot about today.

Anonymous said...

That “sense over sentiment” thing is a decent part of why I’m not in the pool this year. Can’t bring myself to root for certain teams in the hopes the players will go further. I have enough internal conflict, thank you. Hashtag sports feelings

Maria said...

Well shit. That was me.