Tuesday, October 22, 2019

World Series starts tonight!

The "pitching matchup for the ages," Scherzer v. Cole, should be great for fans of the game...somewhat thin gruel for the pool.

Not sure who you guys have for this series. I'm not a huge subscriber to ideas about momentum, but it feels like the Nationals have been off for two weeks, and that does sometimes matter. But I was rereading Bill James's account of the '85 Classic last night, as I sometimes do even in mid-winter because it's such a direct trip back to my earliest days as a fan, and his prediction for that series was that, if the Cards got the Royals down early, they'd win -- but if they let the Royals in early, the Royals would win. Short series, Cards; six or seven games, Royals.

That's the sense I get from the '19 Classic, and I can't quite put my finger on why, but that's what I have happening: if the Astros whip the Nationals decisively in the first two games, that's that. If the Nationals make them work for it and can get to a Game 6, it's probably the Nats' to lose.

Who do I WANT to win? Whoever can drag it out to seven games. ...Okay, seriously: if the Nats have come this far, it'd be nice to see them go the distance, especially for Scherzer and Doolittle, whom I like; Strasburg, who has put in the media-shitstorm time and should get some hardware for it; and Rendon, correctly rated/feared at last. And I like the Astros a lot too, mostly, but I really can't get past Osuna, whatever happened with that assistant GM the other day entirely aside. So, Nationals in 7 is my preferred outcome, but I think it's probably more like Astros in 5.

Tell me I'm full of it in the comments, and good luck to everyone remaining!

2 comments:

LeighBee said...

Oh, HI! Supersad I fell victim to the inexplicable spamination of emails from you, but happy to be able to check up on the pool. I'm with you on hoped-for outcome, though I'd not be unhappy with a sweep for the Nats, because Houston sort of deserves it.

Sarah D Bunting said...

Figured that might have been the case! Make sure to whitelist me so we don't miss you next year.