Wednesday, October 11, 2023

ARI 4, LAD 2; Diamondbacks advance

I'm almost speechless at how bad these Dodgers looked. Listless, leaden, desperate -- and they looked that way the entire time. Outman didn't get to that first fly ball, Kershaw melted down, and then the heart of the order just...sighed, for three days. I don't mean to take away from Arizona here, I really don't; that's a fun team, good for their fans, all of that. 

But it's not impossible that the first nine people I see, say, coming off the B63 bus down the block could put up a better fight, and be more engaged with the project, than that L.A. lineup. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it, a whole team visibly cooked to a mush and longing to go home. It was painful to watch for me; I can't imagine how Dodger fans felt, and I'm glad it wasn't dragged out any further, despite how bad it is for the pool.

And on the one hand, it is bad -- four picks out, including two of the most popular -- but then again, these guys did literally fuck-all, so on the other hand, it...doesn't matter? Like, the Dodger picks taken all together got as many points as Bryce Harper did, by himself, today. And by "taken all together," I mean Freeman, Martinez, and Muncy. Betts had no points. Mookie Betts! Shocking.

Much as it pains me, because I like that dude, he's the pool LVP for this round. Young Carroll is the MVP. Not sure we have a Victorino coming out of the west, but we'll see in a few days!

...Okay: on to today's points. Excuse me: point, singular. (...This series, oy.)

Carroll 0

Betts 0
Freeman 0
Martinez 0
Muncy 1

You know what the italics mean. Sorry, y'all.

What does all of this mean for the money? Full standings after the jump.


Not much change since the last update...

51 Crase
44 SDB 2
42 Wonsetler 1

38 YOLO Joe

34 Fell 2
32 Yuhan
31 Bauer Spoon
30 Bingham 1 and SDB 1

29 Dunn and Stempel
26 Tormey

23 Quinn
22 Shotwell 2 and Cayenne 2
21 MArbour 1
20 MArbour 2 and Bingham 2

19 Cameron 1
18 O'Reilly
16 Cayenne 1
15 Brady
13 Richardson and LyonCron
12 Wonsetler 2

11 Fell 1
10 Bauer Spice

9 Cameron 2
8 Wakefield
7 Chalky Joe, Stuart-Hodges, and Shotwell 1

As you'll see above, we've lost a handful of slates; the ones in italics are out, and won't appear in future updates. Again, my condolences. I thought the damage would be more extensive, actually, but it's the Atlanta/Philly series that's really going to leave a bomb crater when it's final.

And it may be by tomorrow night! Just that game on the schedule, and it starts at 8:07 ET on TBS. Check my math, grieve in the comments, and I'll see you tomorrow night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still thinking about having everyone add a player? After the Braves kill a bunch of slates?

Sarah D Bunting said...

Phils fans won't like that jinx ;) but to your actual question: still *thinking* about it; probably not going to do it. Partly because I haven't had time to test it, mostly because making the change mid-playoffs feels wrong and I don't want to penalize the good prognosticators in the group. (My slates entirely aside, FOR ONCE.)

If Philadelphia *does* lock up a CS berth tonight, that gives us several days to contemplate the idea/me some room to run a few scenarios on a phantom spreadsheet. Probably stays a beta situation this year, but if you want to set up a ghost slate and help me test it, lmk.

Cayenne said...

What a shitshow. That was anong the most painful things I watched this year, and I stan a team that a) hasn't won a playoffs game since 2016 despite the current team's much-vaunted power and pitching (*cough* bullshit *cough*), and b) played some games over the season where it seemed they were just standing waiting to get eaten by a bear, without the excitement of a bear chase. So sorry for Dodgers fans.

Anonymous said...

As a Dodgers fan, I can assure you it was… “awful” doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Anonymous said...

(This is Lauren btw haha)