Saturday, November 5, 2022

HOU 4, PHI 1; Astros are World Champs

...Sure, whatever. Okay: I'm happy for Dusty Baker and Trey Mancini. I'm happy I don't have to hear that execrable booth anymore. But I'm sad the Phillies couldn't close the deal; I'm sad baseball is done for the season. A weird one, granted, but it's weird every year in a different way, so we'll see how MLB tries to mess with my head in 2023.

Last points of 2022:

Altuve 1
Alvarez 4
Tucker 0

None of them managed to catch Machado for most overall BPP points (more on that in a moment)...and nobody managed to catch Zombie Reid 2 for the win. We did, however, see another late shuffle at the top thanks to that Alvarez bomb, as one of the last multi-pick slates lurched into the money...which is as follows!

52 Reid 2 ($245)
50 Yuhan ($70)
48 Cameron ($35)

Well done, everyone! I'll send winnings out tomorrow. Rest of the standings and "awards" after the jump!

Maddeningly close for a couple of the remaining slates:

47 Rogge
46 Drake

41 Bingham 
40 Tormey and Fell

37 Cayenne
35 Dunn
32 Reid 1

25 SDB

Like I said, a strange year, and a Game 7 might have changed a couple of fates, but: we'll never know.

We'll also never know how it might have looked if anyone had picked Schwarber, which I regretted not doing several times, but he's not the pool MVP for the Series, of course; that's Kyle Tucker, by a nose. (Pool LVP for the Series, weirdly, is Alvarez, but there's only a two-point swing there.)

The BPP Shane Victorino Memorial Hottest Unpicked Player Award for the Series looks like Jeremy Peña, but for the entire postseason, I think you have to give it to Bryce Harper, especially since he's a Phillie.

And the Most Valuable Pick remains Manny Machado, with Canha, Goldie, and Toro sharing LVP honors this year.

Thanks so much for playing in 2022; it's always a joy to watch/rant along with you all each October. One last time: check my math; congrats to our top finishers; and pitchers and catchers report in 99 days. 

Until next year! - SDB

4 comments:

Steve said...

Congrats, Joe!!! And thanks for organizing, as always, Sars!!! What a weird postseason.

Paul Bauer said...

Congrats to all the winners! I am not sure if there is any lesson that can be learned after one year, but it sure was an unexpected playoffs on at least one side of the bracket. Next year I’ll be sure to pick both Aaron Judge and Trea Turner…both as part of my all Mets slate! 😉

Sarah D Bunting said...

My pleasure as always! And moneys have gone out as of 1:30 PM ET today; thanks again to everyone and see you next year!

cayenne said...

Welp, that felt anticlimactic. Congrats to the winners, and thank you to Sarah for organizing the pool again! Time to start counting down to spring training and obsessively chase trade/FA signing rumours. See you all next year!