Wednesday, November 1, 2023

TEX 5, ARI 0; Rangers are World Champs

I don't hate this outcome; I like a first-time winner! I like Bochy. I'm glad Travis Jankowski gets a ring; why not. (I hated seeing it all come apart for the Diamondbacks like that at the end, but that's how it goes sometimes.)

The final points of the BPP season:

Seager 2
Semien 5

Carroll 1


And Semien going on an eleventh-hour tear means Joe repeats as pool champ:

129 YOLO Joe
120 Wonsetler
109 Fell

Congrats to all our top finishers! Joe walks off with $231, Wonsetler $66, and Fell $33. 

I'll send payouts tomorrow morning when I'm not dead on my feet; gives everyone time to check my math one last time. Until then, the full final standings:




A bit ironic that, last year, the last round was kind of subdued because nobody picked the Phillies...and this year it was kind of subdued because so many did. Still, a pretty wild and fun pool year overall. Our MVP is Corey Seager, passing Alvarez on the last day of play for 44 TB at the end of the post. (MLB.com has him at 45. I'm sure that's correct, but it doesn't really affect anything, so: stet. But as I said, if you see any other errors, lmk.)

LVP, wellllllll: Mookie Betts. He's not the only pick who hung a collar this year, but he's the only one who did that and decided to defend Trevor Bauer the other day. No thanks.

With a little more time, Ketel Marte might have locked up the Flyin' Hawaiian Memorial Award for the most valuable un-picked player, but this year, it's indisputably Adolis Garcia. Hat tips to Marte and Josh Jung, though.

And to all of you! Thank you so much for playing, commenting, and making this fun, this year and every year. Hope I'll see you (and anyone you drag into this annual lunacy!) again in 2024.

xo
SDB


10 comments:

Joe Reid said...

Thanks for doing this pool this and every year, Sarah, it's so much fun (even when you don't win back-to-back years!).

StaceyW said...

I may have been the first one officially out - and my zombie partner hung in until almost the bitter end - but this is always something we look forward to every year. Thanks Sarah for doing this year after year.
But the Rangers? Ugh. My Mariners were just so close to knocking them completely out. So close.

StaceyW said...

And congrats Joe!

Steve said...

At least we got to see some World Series Bunting!

Thanks again, Sarah; and congrats to the winners!

Sarah D Bunting said...

There WAS a surprising amount of bunting! ;) My pleasure, friends, truly.

LeighBee said...

Congrats winners (Rangers included), and thanks, Sarah!

Fell said...

Thanks again for running this Sarah! Fun as always.

Maria Wonsetler said...

Thank you, Sarah, for all the work you do running this circus! Congrats to Joe, and thanks for reminding us that in sports, as in life, WOLO.

Quinn said...

Congrats, Joe. Thanks, Sars for making this so enjoyable every year.

Paul Bauet said...

Congrats to all the winners and thanks Sarah for doing this again. A big “LOL” to Paul ‘Big Mouth’ Sewald, and I’m happy for the Rangers fans and franchise and hoping I can feel that joy one day 😞 Now it’s time to be depressed until opening day 2024 where all hope springs eternal!