Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Postmortem

It's funny how the story of the Series evolved. It started as "the Rangers aren't hitting," then we saw a backlash of "let's give the Giants some credit," then it was "the Giants are a great team...but the Rangers aren't hitting or playing good D, and Ron Washington's managing is substandard."

I'll be interested to see how it keeps evolving now that we can look at the whole thing. In any case, the Giants totally deserve the crown and it's nice to see that team back on top after such a long time. The Rangers still made history for the franchise this year, which is nice to see too.

Funny year for the pool, too, but I had fun, and I hope to see you all back here next year.

Full final standings after the jump; any errors, please let me know. I'll send money out today!





John Ramos 256.67
Joe Reid 246
Samantha Bunting I 234.67
Aaron Cameron 218
Jill Stempel Love Train 185.67
Broomfield/Romine 183.67
Maria Wonsetler II 178
Tom Rogers 174
Tim O'Reilly 168
Maria Wonsetler I 159.67
Angela Hamilton 159
Dave Pepper 156
Warren Tormey 156
Lauren Shotwell 155
Ben Richardson II 135.67
Jeremy Broomfield 134.67
Hilary Kyle 129.67
Keith Johnson 129.67
Ben Richardson I 119.67
Jill Stempel Hate Slate 113.34
Samantha Bunting II 109.67
Matt Green 96.67
Sarah D. Bunting II 76
Sarah D. Bunting I 49.01

2 comments:

Joe Reid said...

Thanks for hosting this again! My baseball fandom always threatens to waver, but this pool made sure I didn't miss much of what turned out to be a pretty excellent post-season. And after three years of downright embarrassing showings, I finally proved I know a thing or two about this sport. (Or that a broken clock is right twice a day.)

Universal Donor said...

Congrats to the winning pickers! I had fun too, even as i watched my picks disintegrate like never before. Some ideas for next year:

1. Include BB, IBB, and HPB to hitters' points. Cuz slugging is great, but not making outs is what Baseball is all about.

2. I like IP and K for pitchers, especially because IP is really a measure of their pitching quality, but the current point system meant that starters are valued so much higher than hitters. Is that a problem? Maybe not. But maybe a modifier for pitcher totals? I will run some tests.

3. The most drastic change I propose is: pick 3 teams, 3 hitters, and 3 pitchers! Or even: pick 3 teams, 3 hitters from different teams, 3 pitchers from different teams.

Crazy talk, I know.

Thanks to Sarah for organizing, hosting, recapping, calculating! Much fun.

Love,
Jeremy